1. what is the difference between "instant charity entry (ice)" and charity place application"?
instant charity entry (ice)
ice is available to runners who wish to acquire a charity place with our official charity or one of our top 5 affiliate charities. when you sign up for ice, you agree to various terms and conditions (including miminum sponsorship) and your place in your chosen race is then instantly 'approved'. (please note that the top 5 affiliate charities may not necessarily offer ice for all emf races and, in this case, runners will need to submit a charity place application or purchase their own place.)
charity place application
runners wishing to acquire a charity place with one of our affiliate charities where ice is not available will need to submit a charity place application to their chosen affiliate charity. the charity then has 21 days, or until charity place entries close (whichever comes first), to either approve or decline the application.
2. when will my chosen affiliate charity approve my charity place application?
when you submit a charity place application, your charity has 21 days, or until charity place entries close (whichever comes first), to either approve or decline it. if the charity approves your application, you will receive a confirmation email of your place in your chosen race and your entry status will change from 'awaiting approval' to 'approved'. if your application is declined, or it expires, you will be free to apply to another affiliate charity providing charity place entries are still open. if you wish to discuss the status of an existing charity place application, please contact your charity directly.
3. my charity has told me i have a place in one of the emf races. how can i check this?
please log in to your my details account. if you have a place, your 'entry status' will show as being 'approved'. for further information, see my details explained.
4. i have an approved charity place but haven't received any information from my charity. who can i contact about this?
please contact your charity directly. contact details are provided on your chosen affiliate charity's page here: http://www.run-bmf.com/?affiliated-charities. please also contact your charity directly with any questions you have about fundraising.
1. the status of my charity place application is currently ‘awaiting approval’, however i have decided that i wish to withdraw the application. what should i do?
you will need to contact your chosen charity to ask them to decline your charity place application. you will then be free to purchase a standard entry or apply for a charity place with a different charity.
2. i have an approved charity place but wish to withdraw from the event. what should i do?
please contact your charity as soon as possible to discuss this with them directly. your chosen charity will need to withdraw your entry on your behalf. please note that you cannot defer your entry to the following year; you would simply need to apply for a charity place when applications for the next year open.
3. i have an approved charity place with an affiliate charity, but i have since decided i want to fundraise for a different charity. what should i do?
you will first need to contact the original charity and ask them to withdraw your place. please do think very carefully before doing so as the charity has already paid for your place in your chosen race and may have incurred costs in sending you a fundraising pack and t-shirt. you will also need to check any terms and conditions that the charity may have asked you to agree to regarding withdrawals.
once your original charity has withdrawn your place, you will be free to apply to another charity, or purchase your own place if standard entries are still available. please note that you are not guaranteed a place with your new charity as you are effectively restarting the entry process at the beginning.
1. my charity has set me a minimum sponsorship target as a condition of giving me one of their charity places, but i am concerned that i won't be able to raise the required amount. what should i do?
please contact your charity as soon as possible to discuss this with them directly. your charity has incurred a cost in securing your place and will be relying on sponsorship income to help continue their work.
2. if i secure a charity place, how much sponsorship money will my charity expect me to raise?
all affiliate charities ask for varying amounts in minimum sponsorship.
if you sign up for an instant charity entry with our official charity or one of our top 5 affiliate charities, you will be asked to agree to raise a minimum amount in sponsorship money as part of the sign up process.
if you apply for a charity place with one of our other affiliate charities, the charity may contact you prior to approving your application to discuss their minimum sponsorship requirements. if you wish to know what is expected of you before applying for a charity place, please contact your chosen affiliate charity directly to discuss this with them. contact details are provided on your chosen affiliate charity's page here: http://www.run-bmf.com/?affiliate-charities.
own place fundraisers
1. can i run for a charity not listed on the event website as an affiliate?
yes. you will need to purchase your own place (i.e. standard entry) and you are then free to fundraise for any charity of your choosing. if standard entries are not available, please ask a representative of your chosen charity to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on acquiring affiliate charity status.
2. i have my own place and have told an affiliate charity, via my details, that i wish to fundraise for them. however, i have since decided that i no longer wish to do so. what should i do?
you will need to contact your chosen affiliate charity and ask them to remove you from their list of runners. please do think very carefully before doing so as the charity may have already incurred costs in sending you a fundraising pack and t-shirt. once the charity has removed you from their list of runners, you will be able to log into your my details account and see that your entry is no longer linked to that charity.