Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Running Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis Reviewed
If you are a seasoned runner, you might have already experienced injuries and strains that throw your workout plans out of the window.
Runners experience all sorts of injuries and strains over time, and one of the most common of these conditions is plantar fasciitis. It’s is a condition that causes pain in the heel of your foot. It is caused through the strain or overuse of the plantar fascia, the ligament that connects your heel to your toe.
We here at run-bmf.com scoured today’s saturated market to help you find the best Running Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis. Our team has reviewed our top 5 pairs of shoes for both men and women that we believe will be the perfect fit for your foot.
Plantar fasciitis can be extremely painful for runners, resulting in forced time off the sport until the condition settles down. While there is no direct cure for plantar fasciitis except rest between runs and proper stretching, there is one thing that can prevent this painful condition from occurring: a high quality running shoe.
Of course, if you are a runner you will know that your shoes are the most important piece of equipment you can invest in. Running shoes alone can’t prevent injuries, but when combined with good practise when it comes to warming up, cooling down, high quality running shoes can be the difference between injury and good health.
Running shoes are designed to combine lightness with weight-bearing technology that helps to cushion the delicate bones in your feet, legs, hips and back. Your feet are made up of intricate ligaments, tendons and bones that, with over-use and lack of proper protection, can become irreparably damaged over time.
Plantar fasciitis is just one condition that can help to be prevented by running shoes; others include stress fractures, shin splints, ankle sprains, blisters and more.
If you are concerned about plantar fasciitis, you have come to the right place. Here you will find the best running shoes for plantar fasciitis for both men and women. Let’s get started!
See Our Favorite Running Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis
Top Women’s Running Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis Comparison
Best Running Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis
This affordable running shoe is highly popular for runners who want to avoid foot injuries like plantar fasciitis.
The Brooks Women’s Ghost 13 combines a soft, breathable fabric with a sturdy rubber sole that provides ample cushioning for the delicate ligaments in your feet.
The stability of the Brooks Ghost 13 sole helps soften your contact with the ground as you run, aiding your balance, stamina and comfort throughout the run. The sturdiness of the sole does not impede on the lightness of the shoe; the Brooks Women’s Ghost 13 have a lightweight feel combined seamlessly with solid foot protection.
In addition to excellent cushioning from the rubber sole, the Brooks Ghost 13 comprises a beautifully sweat-wicking fabric in the main body of the shoe. This fabric is strong and long-lasting, but does not give your foot an ‘encased’ feeling. Your feet will feel safely protected and supported by the fabric in order to prevent unnecessary injuries, but will be able to breathe too.
Finally, the Brooks Women’s Ghost 13 running shoe is available in a wide range of colours, from bright pinks to neutral greys. These running shoes are reasonably priced for a high quality running shoe that will last years and protect your feet every time you run.
With over 2,000 five star reviews on Amazon, you can count on these shoes to protect you as much as possible from plantar fasciitis or any other recurring injuries.
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: The Ghost 13 is for runners looking for a reliable shoe that's soft and smooth. The Ghost 13 offers improved transitions for zero distractions so you can focus more on what matters most: your run.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The neutral support type provideds high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Ghost 12
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without losing responsiveness and durability - yet it feels lighter than ever.
- SMOOTH, STABLE RIDE: No matter how your foot lands, our Segmented Crash Pad - an integrated system of shock absorbers - will cushion every step and stride for smooth heel-to-toe transitions.
- SOFT, SECURE, FIT: The newly engineered mesh and 3D Fit Print practically disappears on your foot with strategically placed stretch and structure.
New Balance has been a staple of sportswear for some time now, and these running shoes are no exception.
The Fresh Foam 1080 V10 running shoe comprises a mixture of mesh and synthetic material with a rubber sole that absorbs impact as you run. These high quality running shoes are ideal to protect your plantar fascia ligament while running long distances frequently.
Even if you are just starting your running journey, investing in these high quality running shoes can help prevent injury as you increase your stamina over time. It is never too soon to buy professional quality running shoes, even for short distance runs.
What makes these New Balance running shoes special? Just take a look at this Amazon review from runner Corrine: “I purchased these sneakers as a recommendation of my orthopedist. I have been suffering from plantar fasciitis on my left foot for the past 4 years, I had tried everything with no relief, until I started using the NB1080V 10.”
For sufferers of plantar fasciitis, these running shoes are one of the best on the market. The combination of solid support from the tough rubber sole and flexibility to aid the natural movement of your foot can not only help to prevent injuries, but also aid those who have previous injuries or current issues from running.
Plus, these fabulous shoes are available in a range of bright, fun designs, and are an affordable professional grade running shoe!
- Cushioned Running Shoes for Every Runner: Part of the Fresh Foam X collection, these shoes use our latest advancements in data to design to deliver precise plushness exactly where you need it
- Great Fit: Designed with no-sew overlays to ensure a sleek fit and incredible feel, these kids' performance shoes will be a joy to wear for your active little one
- Breathable Comfort: The synthetic and mesh uppers on these New Balance kids' running shoes create amazing breathability, helping to keep their feet comfortable when the pace picks up
- Incredible Support: With a strong and durable rubber outsole, these kids' shoes provide impressive support and can stand up to daily wear-and-tear, no matter what your child gets up to
- Fun, Kid-Friendly Design: These shoes are designed for kids first, with playful colors, patterns and fun designs they're sure to love whether they're headed to school, practice or the park
When it comes to running brands, ASICS is one of the top rated options you can explore.
These shoes were designed to support the arch of your foot as you run on any terrain. The ASICS Gel-Venture 7 running shoes are built with rearfoot gel technology in the sole, absorbing maximum impact into the cushioning sole of the shoe, helping to support your feet, knees and spine as you run.
ASICS gel technology alleviates pains and strains in the feet, and can prevent recurring injuries like plantar fasciitis, stress fractures and shin splints.
These ASICS gel sole running shoes are perfect for runners who like to venture off the beaten track. The high-friction soles of these shoes are the ideal running mate for trail runs, slippery tarmac running or cross-country running.
The body of the shoe is made up of synthetic leather that is both tough against any weather condition and also breathable too. ASICS Gel-Venture 7 are ideal for any runner who pronates or under-pronates their feet as they run, helping to balance the landing of your foot onto the earth and absorbing weight with ease.
- Rearfoot GEL technology cushioning system - Attenuates shock during impact phase and allows for a smooth transition to midstance.
The Saucony Women’s VERSAFOAM Cohesion 12s are an affordable solution for sufferers of plantar fasciitis or any other recurring conditions from running.
Priced at under $100, these shoes are ideal for beginner runners who are looking to support old injuries or prevent new ones from occurring.
The affordability of the Saucony running shoe does not detract from their protective powers; this shoe is armed with a thick rubber sole that absorbs the impact as you run, and is ideal when you decide to put in the long miles throughout the course of a week.
Let’s take a close look at the sole of these Saucony VERSAFOAM shoes. The sole is infused with a grid structure that helps spread your weight across the whole shoe, making this perfect for balanced exercise that does not place more weight on one part of the foot than the other.
This shoe is designed specifically for road running, giving extra support for running on unyielding tarmac. The outsole is formed from sturdy rubber that is durable against hard surfaces and won’t be easily worn down.
The Saucony VERSAFOAM is a versatile shoe that is available in a range of stylish colours for runners of all abilities and styles – particularly those who suffer with chronic pain like plantar fasciitis. At an affordable price with great sizing options and thousands of positive online reviews, Saucony’s running shoes are ones you can trust.
- Textile and Synthetic
- Versa foam cushioning technology
- Grid technology
- Durable rubber outsole
- Supportive upper overlays
The Orthofeet Plantar Fasciitis Walking Shoe is a shoe specifically made for those who have suffered with plantar fasciitis in the past, or are continuing to suffer from this condition.
Additionally, these shoes are ideal for anyone with similar conditions or injuries to plantar fasciitis. These affordable shoes are purpose built to give you complete comfort.
From heel to toe, this shoe protects your feet while walking and running. For your heels, the Orthofeet Sandy Walking Shoe is designed with ergonomically designed orthopedic cushioning in the heel, in order to take the impact of your weight and protect the ligaments in your heel. Furthermore, the toe of this shoe is designed with a toe box that does not grip the toes, but instead leaves ample breathing room to avoid rubbing and pain.
Orthofeet’s running shoes are designed for an exact fit. When it comes to running, your shoes must fit as perfectly as possible in order to better protect your feet.
That’s why the Orthofeet Sandy Plantar Fasciitis Walking Shoe is designed with three different widths – medium, wide and extra wide – to fit any type of foot. What better way to protect your feet than with an orthopedic running shoe that fits like a glove?
At a very affordable price, you can treat your feet to orthopedic heaven with these Orthofeet running shoes.
- GUARANTEED COMFORT! Test our shoes for up to 60 DAYS and see for yourself why Orthofeet is regarded by millions as the WORLD'S MOST COMFORTABLE and stylish orthopedic shoes. Try RISK FREE: Walk COMFORTABLY and PAIN FREE or Your MONEY BACK. 60-day wear test. FREE shipping and returns.
- PLANTAR FASCIITIS? HEEL PAIN? FOOT PAIN? NEUROPATHY? Orthofeet orthotic shoes offer the BEST ORTHOPEDIC SHOE solution. Lightweight SOLE with ERGONOMIC design and SUPERIOR CUSHIONING along with premium ORTHOTIC INSOLES that feature ANATOMICAL ARCH SUPPORT and multiple CUSHIONING layers provide soft, PILLOW-LIKE SUPPORT that works wonders to enhance COMFORT and EASE PAIN on the FOOT and HEEL, all the way up your KNEES, HIPS and LOWER BACK caused by flat feet, overpronation and arthritis.
- EXTENDED WIDTHS - These SUPER COMFORTABLE women’s casual shoes with soft, non-binding uppers are available in Medium, Wide and Extra Wide widths, offering a PERFECT FIT. The UNIQUE THERAPEUTIC DESIGN helps alleviate stress on the joints, enhances stability and substantially improves the ease of walking.
- SENSITIVE FEET? DIABETES? ARTHRITIS? NEUROPATHY? Soft uppers with smooth interior lining and extra foam padding provide SUPERIOR COMFORT and protection for sensitive feet and an ideal footwear solution as women’s diabetic shoes, women’s arthritis shoes and women’s shoes for neuropathy.
- BUNIONS? HAMMERTOES? A wide & roomy TOE BOX offers a comfortable, non-binding fit for the front part of the foot and toes, and eases pressure on bunions, hammertoes Morton’s Neuroma & swollen feet. ORTHOTIC FRIENDLY: Extra depth design with removable insoles (¼” thick in the forefoot area) provides ample space for custom made orthotics.
Top Men’s Running Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis Comparison
The Brooks Level 3 Running Shoe is a fantastic unisex shoe that perfectly supports runners of all abilities. If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or any other chronic condition from running, this pair of shoes is a great way to invest in your long term health. Brooks have established a great name in the running community, by providing supportive and long-lasting shoes that are worth every penny.
Let’s take a closer look at the specs of this shoe. The cushioning of the sole provides ample support for your heel, foot arch and toes, as well as other important body parts like your knees and shins, while you run.
Brooks BioMoGo technology helps the shoe support your unique body exactly as it needs, aiding balance, longevity and foot health. The breathable fabric of the shoe wicks away sweat and lets your feet breathe as you run. Additionally, these shoes can be worn by anyone, be it professional runners or amateurs who are just starting out!
Available in a wide range of gorgeous colours, from an understated black to a vibrant green or red – there are even Christmas-themed designs! – you can find a Brooks Level 3 running shoe that protects your feet and serves your style too. These shoes don’t have to stop at running; they can be worn casually as an addition to a cool outfit as well as on the treadmill or running track.
If you suffer from plantar fasciitis, you will know that finding a running shoe that can support any weight, balance or running style is important. You are a unique runner and require shoes that can support anybody.
Well, you won’t be disappointed by the New Balance Men’s 840 V4 running shoes. Whether you are slender and light or slightly heavier, these shoes are designed to support any weight of a person who wants to take up running without injury.
One reviewer, Margaret, wrote, “Bought these for my husband who is heavy like me. He took out the inner sole and put in a gel one and now He’s walking on a cloud! Best sneakers we’ve found for heavier people.”
The New Balances aren’t just for heavy runners – these versatile shoes can provide cloud-light running for any runner. The tough rubber sole of these New Balance running shoes absorbs impact as you run, even on hard surfaces like roads. The grid-like structure of the sole spreads your weight across the whole shoe, and helps correct any balance issues you might have as you run.
These shoes also come with a removable insert that can be replaced with a specialist insole for orthopedic issues like plantar fasciitis. Although the insert serves wonderfully for people with chronic issues, runners can easily swap it out for one they prefer. This helps boost your performance while keeping your pain at a minimum.
The New Balance 840 V4 running shoe is available in a range of beautifully designed colours and designs, and is one of the most affordable running shoes on the market. Looking after your feet has never been easier!
- ABZORB midsole
- No sew overlays
- Removable insert
ASICS are well known for their innovative shoe technology, and these running shoes are no exception. When it comes to a chronic condition like plantar fasciitis, prevention is the best way to stop the injury from taking hold in the first place.
ASICS Gel-Kayano shoes are built with Impact Guidance System technology, created exclusively by ASICS, for maximum shock absorption.
The soles of these running shoes are flexible yet durable, absorbing your weight as you run while allowing the full natural flexion of your foot to take place.
ASICS’ shoe design doesn’t just cushion your feet, but actually helps propel you forward as you run. The Gel-Kayano 26 running shoe helps improve your speed and endurance, guiding you through your running journey and protecting your feet at the same time. While the soles are designed for maximum cushioning, their flexibility using FlyteFoam Propel Technology creates a lightweight feel to the shoe, so you never feel weighed down.
For sufferers of plantar fasciitis, the sole of this ASICS shoe provides ample support from heel to toe, protecting the plantar fascia ligament from strain or tears. Available in a wide range of colours and styles for a chic addition to your workout clothes, the ASICS Men’s Gel-Kayano 26 running shoes are a practically unbeatable choice.
- I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology - ASICS design philosophy that employs linked componentry to enhance the foot's natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- SpevaFoam 45 Lasting - Employs 45 degree full length SpevaFoam 45 lasting material for a soft platform feel and improved comfort.
- FlyteFoam Lyte Technology - ASICS lightest weight midsole formulation that provides continuous cushion thanks to organic nano fibers.
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- DuoMax Support System - A dual density midsole system positioned to enhance support and stability, positioned sport specifically.
Saucony’s Men’s Ride 7 running shoes are a great choice for plantar fasciitis due to their innovative sole design. The powergrid technology gives balanced support to the entire foot, unlike lower quality running shoes.
Balancing your whole weight over your whole foot helps to prevent plantar fasciitis symptoms from taking hold; likewise, if you already have plantar fasciitis and are trying to find ways to manage the symptoms, balancing your weight is crucial. Saucony’s expert designers have created a great solution for runners who suffer from ongoing pain issues.
One reviewer, Mike, wrote: “Simply the best running shoe ever made. I log a lot of miles and I’m a big man (6”5’ 250lb) so I put a beating on these and they hold up and provide great comfort and support. They are the best balance of lightness and cushion.”
The Saucony Men’s Ride 7s are not only high quality when it comes to the sole, but in fact, the entire shoe is purpose-built for durability and protection. The open air mesh fabric helps your feet breathe while continuing to support the whole foot as you run. Additionally, the Men’s Ride 7s feature reflective strips for visibility after dark, and are available in a range of awesome colours that can suit anyone!
If you are looking to prevent plantar fasciitis or treat it continuously, check out Saucony Men’s Ride 7 running shoes for optimal support and fit.
- Lace-up running shoe in breathable air mesh featuring logo patch on tongue and RUNDRY interior lining to wick away moisture
- Silver reflective at heel for enhanced visibility
- POWERGRID for heel-to-toe cushioning
- Redesigned SRC crashpad extends into midfoot for smoother transition
- Vertical flex groove enhances forefoot flexibility
If you are a trail runner who wants to protect against plantar fasciitis and other injuries, these are the shoes for you. The Xero Shoes TerraFlex Men’s Trail Running Shoe features unparalleled grip for off-road running.
The lightweight rubber sole features high-intensity grip rubber for maximum support as you traverse uneven terrain on your runs.
Unlike road running shoes, the Xero TerraFlex Trail Running Shoe prioritizes the natural movement of your foot that allows you to grip the terrain as you run, reducing the risk of trips, slips and falls.
If you have plantar fasciitis, these shoes can help your foot complete its natural movement while running, helping you grip the floor more easily.
The synthetic material of these shoes is perfect for all-weather running. These shoes are breathable and are also extremely light, helping you to pack them for hikes or trips abroad without hassle. Off-road runners can rely on the Xero TerrFlex Trail Runners to provide great grip, perfect foot support and light travel.
- TRAIL-GRIPPING -- a 4mm lugged sole gives you incredible traction -- uphill, downhill, fast, or slow, in dry and wet conditions
- COMFORT - The foot-first, natural movement design lets your feet bend, flex, move, and feel the world the way they're supposed to
- PROTECTION - 6mm of FeelTrue rubber, with an embedded 3mm BareFoam layer smooths out the rough spots
- NOTE: TerraFlex runs small. We recommend ordering 1/2 size larger than your normal shoe size. Of course, if this isn't correct, you can exchange it for the right size.
Top Running Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis Features To Consider
When buying running shoes as a runner with plantar fasciitis, it is crucial that you pay attention to particular details about the shoes you are purchasing. Here are some of the most important features of a running shoe for plantar fasciitis.
Firstly, pay attention to the sole of the shoe. The sole of your running shoe will absorb your weight every single time you take another step forward. It is absolutely crucial that the sole of the running shoe can absorb your weight in order to prevent any straining or bruising of the plantar fascia ligament. Look out for grid soles that help spread your weight while cushioning your feet.
Next, ensure that the arch of your foot is supported. Your running shoes for plantar fasciitis should be flexible enough to allow the full motion of your foot as you run, but sturdy enough to absorb the shock as you place your foot. This combination is crucial in order to keep your foot supported without limiting its range of movement. The plantar fascia ligament is best kept pain-free by allowing your foot its full range of motion while preventing it from being damaged by excessive weight bearing.
In addition to the sole of the shoe, a running shoe for plantar fasciitis should also encase your foot gently. Shoes which feel like your feet are being bound into them will only damage your plantar fascia ligament and other delicate structures of your foot. While shoes that are too big are also an issue, you should not feel like your foot is encased in a hard structure. Breathable, flexible material is best.
Room for Insoles
It might also be advisable to invest in specially designed insoles to support your foot within a high quality running shoe. Plantar fasciitis can be very painful, so any support you can get is important.
If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or any other chronic injuries from running, use this helpful guide to pick out the best possible running shoes to support your feet. Many runners overcome plantar fasciitis through careful exercise and by wearing high quality, long-lasting running shoes – and you can too!