Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Stair Climbers Reviewed
Working out at home is the perfect way to maintain your fitness without needing to hit the gym.
When you have the proper equipment prepped and ready and ready to go, it is so much easier to pack more workout time into your daily routine without needing to cram a trip to the gym into your busy schedule.
If working out in the comfort of your own home appeals to you, then you will thoroughly appreciate one of our in-depth reviews for today’s best stair climbers.
Stair climbers are an excellent choice of equipment for at-home workouts. These handy machines offer a great cardio boost, and working out on your stair stepper will help you to burn an impressive amount of calories each time you use it. Your stair climber machine will engage your core and put your lower body to work by strengthening your hamstrings, glutes, quadriceps, and calves.
While introducing a stair climber machine to your home workout is an excellent way to boost your fitness, you need to be sure that you choose the best machine for the job. Not all stair stepper machines are created equal.
Buying a bargain step machine may seem like good value for money, but this is actually a false economy. You need a high-quality stair climber to help you achieve the best results from your workout. Low-price step machines offer lackluster performance and have a far shorter lifespan.
In contrast, a high-quality machine will last longer and provide you with the durability needed to achieve maximum results from your stair climber workout. Choosing a quality stair climber is an investment that will help you to achieve your fitness goals without compromise. A better quality step machine will include all the features that you need to track your progress and get the most from your workout.
Choosing the right stair stepper machine to use at home is crucial to help you make your fitness goals a reality. Check out this pick of five of the best stair climbers to help you find the best step machine for you:
Check Out Our Favorite Stair Climber
Top Stair Climber Comparison Chart
Best Stair Climbers
The Sunny Health & Fitness Premium Cardio Stair Climber Machine allows you to work on both your upper and lower body in one workout and is packed with handy features.
This premium elliptical machine and stepper features eight different levels of intensity, so you can easily adjust your workout to meet your current fitness levels and increase the intensity when you are ready for a challenge.
This Sunny Health & Fitness Machines enables you to climb vertically to a height of 9in. and to take horizontal strides up to 6in.
The Sunny Health & Fitness Premium Cardio Stair Climber Machine has oversized, textured foot pedals, and full-motion handlebars to ensure you feel stable and secure when working out.
In-built pulse sensors on the handlebars make it easy to keep track of your heart rate while exercising, and the multifunctional display helps you to monitor your progress with ease. Use the multifunctional display to track everything from RPM, how many calories you have burned, and your speed.
Thanks to the transportation wheels, this stair climber can be easily moved from room to room for your convenience, making it perfect for at-home use and easy for you to store in a separate room when not in use.
- HEAVY-DUTY FRAME: Confidently enjoy long-lasting climbing and striding sessions when you exercise on the steel climber frame that has a user weight limit of 260 lb
- CLIMB AND STEP: This versatile machine combines the best of stepping and striding in one intense movement Climb to a vertical height of 9 inches and stride a horizontal distance of 6 inches
- SMOOTH OPERATION: Perfect for shared spaces, it has a smooth belt-drive mechanism that makes minimal noise during your workout Engage the 14 lb inertia-ready flywheel to perform challenging strides and climbs with ease.Foam padded handles
- PULSE-SENSING GRIPS: Monitor how hard you work out when you measure you heart rate by grabbing onto the integrated pulse sensors, which can also be used for additional support while exercising
- PERFORMANCE MONITOR: Monitor your progress when you track your time, RPM, speed, distance, calories, and pulse Packed with extra goal-oriented functions, it has a calendar, clock, and thermometer
Looking for a stair stepper that has a compact design and is super easy to store? If so, this Women’s Health Men’s Health Stair Stepper could be a great choice for you. Measuring just 23 x 16 x19 inches, the dimensions of this stepper mean that it can be stored easily even if your home is short on space.
As this stair stepper comes with resistance bands, you can work on both your lower and upper body at the same time. The bands are also adjustable so you can tailor them to the correct length to suit your needs.
This Women’s Health Men’s Health Stair Stepper features a true step motion and does not swivel when you use it. This stepping motion helps to maximize the number of calories that you burn while minimizing the amount of impact on your knees, which could be beneficial if you are prone to knee issues.
You can keep track of the calories that you are burning, steps per minute, your time, and more with the battery-powered LCD display. The batteries come included with the stepper for your convenience. If you like to keep track of your fitness via your mobile devices, then you will like that this machine comes with Bluetooth Smart Connectivity and can be used with the MyCloudFitness app.
- 250 lbs Weight Capacity which is substantially more capacity than most other steppers
- Bluetooth Smart Cloud Fitness with free MyCloudFitness App available on iOS/Android to help track and monitor your workouts
- A LCD display features steps/min, total step count, time, calories burned, and scan
- Increase your workout intensity by adjusting the step height up to 10”
- 3 locking step heights convert the stepper into a stable step up platform. Protective heat covers on air piston cylinders for safety when transporting after workout
The Bowflex Max Step Trainer Series brings you the best of both an elliptical machine and a stair stepper machine straight into your home. You will feel just like you are at the gym when using the Bowflex Max Step Machine.
This machine allows you to enjoy the benefits of a low-impact elliptical training session, combined with the calorie-burning power of a stair climber workout all at once while working both your upper and lower body.
Use the Bowflex Max Trainer Series to take your fitness to the next level fast. During a 14 minute workout, you can achieve the same cardio benefits you would gain in an interval training session, making this machine ideal if you are short of time but don’t want to compromise on your fitness.
Featuring a burn rate display, the Bowflex Max Trainer enables you to see your calories burned while you work out which will help to keep your motivation levels high. If you like having a target to aim for to improve your fitness, then the Bowflex Max Trainer can help by setting you targets to work towards during your sessions.
Planning to share the machine with someone else in your house? The Bowflex enables you to set up two user profiles so that you can both work towards meeting your fitness goals at home. As your fitness levels build, you can increase the challenge with a click of the dial and take your pick from eight different levels of resistance for your workout.
- Combines the easy low-impact motion of an elliptical with the calorie burning power of a stepper
- Max can deliver the cardio benefits of interval training in as little as 14 minutes
- Max’s unique burn rate display shows how many calories burned per minute and sets activity level targets
- Target zone and burn rate indicators motivate you by setting targets to help you achieve your goals
- Interactive backlit display features 2 workout programs and 8 resistance levels
The Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster may be small in size but it is big on features. This machine is unique in the stair stepper market, as it is the only product available that can be used for sprint training high-intensity interval training. If you are a fan of HIIT and like to make your workouts intense and in short bursts, then this machine should match your workout style.
This Mini Stairmaster is created by PhD’s and features an ergonomic design for ease of use. The Stairmaster is constructed from cast aircraft alloy and is incredibly light, weighing in at just 14 lbs. If you want a stepper that you can transport easily and store in a small space at your home, then the Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster fits the bill.
The Xiser Mini Stairmaster is made in the United States and comes ready assembled so you can start working out as soon as you receive it. While it may lack interactive displays to track your performance, the Stairmaster makes up for this with its robust construction, convenient size, and ergonomic design. This Mini Stairmaster also boasts an impressive maximum capacity and can support weight up to 400 lbs.
- Cast Aircraft Alloy
- Ergonomically Optimum Design
- Light Weight 14 lbs.(Portable), NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
- 100% Made in USA Parts and Labor since 1977
- The first stepping machine and only step sprint trainer on the market
The Sunny Health & Fitness Twist Stepper Step Machine provides the benefits of a regular step machine, but with a twist. The twisting action on this stepper machine helps you to work on both your core and lower body at the same time. This allows you to workout without putting your joints under pressure.
The affordable price but high-quality construction of the Sunny Health & Fitness Twist Stepper Step Machine makes it an ideal entry-level machine for beginners while still delivering effective results from each workout.
The addition of handlebars will make it easy to keep your balance while working out. The handlebars provide extra stability and are sweat-resistant so your grip will not be compromised. For extra safety, the Twist Stepper Step Machine also features oversized pedals, which are textured to provide a non-slip grip for your feet.
The robust steel construction of the Twist Stepper ensures that it is tough enough to withstand daily use, even for the most intense workouts. Thanks to its strong steel construction, this machine has a relatively high maximum weight capacity of 250 lbs.
Featuring an LCD display, the Sunny Health & Fitness Twist Stepper Machine will help you to keep track of your progress during workouts. The LCD display has functions to track your calories burned, your step count, and times your workout.
Keeping track of your progress during workouts will be so much easier when you can see your performance in real-time. To increase your level of intensity, this machine also features an adjustable stepping height.
- LCD MONITOR: Monitor displays your Time, Calories, Count, and Scan, you will be able to see your results to keep you motivated and on pace.
- BALANCE: This stepper has Handle Bars to help keep you balanced while you step. Great for beginners who are new to the stepping world.
- TWIST ACTION: Tone both your core and lower body while performing fun and effective stepping actions to work deep muscles without putting extreme pressure on bones and joints.
- NON-SLIP PEDALS: Textured non-slip oversized foot pedals to ensure safety of your vigorous workouts.
- CONSTRUCTION: Heavy-duty steel construction to stand the test of time, and the everyday use of intense workouts. Max Weight capacity 250 lbs.
Top Stair Climber Features To Consider
When choosing the best stair climber machine, there are several factors that you need to take into account to find the right machine for your needs.
Choosing a high-quality stair climber machine is vital. A bargain step machine will not offer you the same longevity and will compromise the quality of your workouts.
Aside from picking a step climber of the highest quality, you also need to consider the features that will work best for you when weighing up your options. Here are some points to consider when choosing the best stair climber machine:
Do you want to track your progress and see your performance statistics during your workout? If so, look for a step climber with a display screen that can track your steps, calories, and workout time.
When choosing your stair climber, you will also need to consider whether you want to focus your attention on working on your lower body or work out your upper body at the same time.
Some stepper machines also feature elliptical training features to enable you to work your core and upper body, and others come supplied with resistance bands to add an extra dimension to your workout.
One of the main issues that people face when working out at home is storing their equipment. Unless you have a home gym set-up, then finding places to store your workout machines can be tough.
The great thing about stepper machines is that they come in a whole range of sizes and styles. If you are short of space, you will still be able to find a stair climber machine for your home workouts that you can store out of the way when you are not using it.
The maximum weight limit is an important consideration when choosing a step machine. It is essential to find out the maximum capacity so that you can ensure that the weight limit is not exceeded.
Using a machine when you are above the capacity is a safety issue and could cause the machine to break when you are using it. Maximum weight capacities can vary quite widely, so you will need to take care that you read the limits carefully and consider whether it can accommodate yourself and other users in your household.
Balance and Stability
When you are planning a vigorous workout, you need to be sure that your step machine is stable enough to take the strain.
Stability is a crucial factor to consider when choosing your stair climber, which is why you need to avoid bargain machines and choose a high-quality one instead. Look out for the material that the machine is constructed from to make sure that it is robust enough to last.
If you are concerned about balancing on the machine, then you may want to select a machine with handlebars that will give it extra stability and will give you something to hold onto while working out.